The Our Rossmoor High School Scholarship Awards presented by the RHA are part of the Rossmoor Home Owners Association’s ongoing support of education in our community. Our neighborhood support of education both for the LAUSD and our students has its roots in Rossmoor developer Ross Cortese’s vision for Rossmoor and the importance he and his wife, Alona, put on education. Back in 2010, Gary Stewart create helped to create the Our Rossmoor Scholarship program to recognize RHA member families who have a student graduating high school.
To be considered for the awards the high school student’s family needs to be current RHA members and the student must:
- Be a Rossmoor resident.
- Be on track to graduate during the contest year from an accredited high school program.
- Intend to enroll in /has been accepted to an accredited college or university in the summer or fall of the contest year.
- Submit the Our Rossmoor Scholarship Award application and supporting materials on or before the deadline.
- Complete and submit the essay as outlined on the current year’s Award application.
The Scholarship Awards
The Our Rossmoor Scholarship awards TWO cash scholarship prizes to graduating high school students. The total award amount is determined by the RHA when the annual budget is passed. For 2020, the total scholarship award budget is $4,000, so there are TWO, $2,000 scholarship awards available this year.
The Contest Criteria
Judging criteria for the awards are:
- 60% for the essay (20% each for the quality of the idea, effectiveness of the argument, and technical proficiency)
- 15% for On Campus Activities/Sports/Clubs
- 15% for Off Campus Community Service
- 10% for GPA
The 2020 Application deadline is March 10th – see the 2020 Scholarship announcement post below for details.
RHA Our Rossmoor High School Scholarship Awards – Past Recipients
Here are some of our past Scholarship Award announcements: